Archive for the "WINTER" Category
If you like red wine and cognac then this recipe is for you. Slow cooked short ribs that are so tender no knife needed. Serve with Polenta or Creamy Mashed Potatoes.
- 1 pound apple wood smoked bacon, sliced
- 8 bone-in beef short ribs, 1 short rib per person
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 8 parsley sprigs, about
- 8 thyme sprigs, about
- 3 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup cognac
- 1 bottle full-bodied red wine, such as Cûtes du Rhûne
- 4 cups, beef stock.
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Season the ribs with salt. In a large skillet or dutch oven, cook sliced bacon until crispy. Remove the cooked bacon from the pan. Add half of the ribs to the reserved bacon fat and cook over moderately high heat until well browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the ribs to a large roasting pan. Brown the remaining ribs and add them to the roasting pan in a single layer.
- Add the reserved vegetables and cook over high heat until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add cognac, cook for about 1 min. (watch out if it catches on fire). Then add wine and beef stock, bring to a boil. Pour the vegetable/wine mixture over the ribs. Cover with foil and bake for about 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender and almost falling off the bone. Transfer the ribs to a large baking dish. Leave the oven on.
- Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan and skim the fat from the surface. Boil over high heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Pour the sauce over the ribs.
- Return the ribs to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can of artichokes
- 5 cups of veggie stock, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of Cannellini beans
- 1 cup of baby kale
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- In a medium size pot, add olive oil, onions and stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent on medium heat for about 3 min. Add garlic and saute for 1 min making sure not to brown the garlic. Add artichokes, 1 cup stock and remove soup from heat.
- Puree soup with a food processor, blend till creamy and smooth. Return back to the pot adding 4 cups of stock, bay leaf, Cannellini beans, baby kale, thyme, salt and pepper, simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
- Right before serving add lemon zest and enjoy!